[Telepathy] Spec changes: tube API

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Fri May 25 01:58:48 PDT 2007

Hey,

I wrote a first draft of spec. See
http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~monkey/telepathy-spec-stream/
http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~cassidy/spec-stream.html#org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.Tubes

One of the remaining point we should solve is how a socket should be
"encoded" in the spec. Currently I use a simple string ('s') containing
the path of the unix socket. But this simple solution have few issues:
- it's required to be UTF-8, which Unix filesystem paths aren't
- it can't have embedded NULs, but Linux 'abstract' sockets have an
address that starts with a NULL so we can't use abstract sockets

We could solve the NULL problem using an array of bytes ('ay').

Another issue is portability. Ideally, we need a system independent spec
(Windows...). I'm not sure if a path-based solution will fit this
requirement.

	G.