[Telepathy] Announcing telepathy-sharp, the next generation

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Sat Oct 13 03:58:54 PDT 2007

The new Telepathy implementation for the CLR is open for business! There
is only an XSL-based code generator in there right now, which generates
interfaces that do not quite compile yet.

As a change of policy, I will consider including convenience code in
this branch of telepathy-sharp, for example code to support Tubes using
native CLR Stream classes and managed D-Bus peer to peer connections.

The generated interfaces are already looking quite elegant and are, as
much as anything, a testament to the Telepathy team and, in particular,
Simon's attention to detail when it comes to keeping the spec XML format
well maintained. Your thoughts on API beautification are welcome at this
point.

The goal here is to make telepathy-sharp the easiest way to write
cross-platform collaboration clients as well as connection managers.
Boilerplate code? Just say no!

The original hand-written telepathy-sharp implementations by Adam Lofts
and INdT were used by the first voice-capable Telepathy client for the
GNOME desktop and the first video-capable client for GNOME respectively,
and I hope we can continue to maintain this tradition of innovation.

Note that the development of some of this work was supported by
Collabora Ltd. (while I was working there).

Further information:
   http://www.ndesk.org/TelepathySharp

The git repository:
   http://git.ndesk.org/?p=telepathy-sharp-ng