[Telepathy] MissionControl's spec

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 15:52:40 PDT 2007

2007/10/21, Xavier Claessens <xclaesse at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I opened a darcs branch to add MissionControl's spec into
> telepathy-spec[1]. You can see generated html [2] I'm not sure it's the
> right place but if I make a separate package I have to duplicate all
> generator code from tp-spec... Also, will we add MC interfaces to
> tp-glib? Maybe in a libtelepathy-glib-mc.so? Like that we can use the
> same code generator to implement MC.
>
> Problems I see:
>
> 1) org.freedesktop.Telepathy.MissionControl.ProtocolManager: Is that
> interface useful at all? libtelepathy already has code to do such
> things. I think we should think about a good profile system instead.
> Information in NMC profiles:
>
>    Manager=gabble
>    Protocol=jabber
>    DisplayName=Google Talk
>    IconName = empathy-proto-google-talk
>    ConfigurationUI = jabber
>    Capabilities = chat-p2p, chat-room, chat-room-list, voice-p2p,
>                   split-account, supports-avatars, supports-alias
>    SupportedPresences = offline,available,away,extended-away,
>                         do-not-disturb
>    VCardField = X-Jabber
>    DefaultAccountDomain = gmail.com
>    Default-$param = $value
>
> - DisplayName: Should be internationalized.
> - IconName: Depends on who install the icon PNGs
> - ConfigurationUI: In N800 that's a string with the path to the UI
> plugin to configure parameters of the account, that totally depends on
> the client. For Empathy it's just a string to choose between available
> hard-coded UIs.
> - Default-$param = $value: That depends on client's policy, for example
> should we ignore ssl errors to connect gmail accounts? It could also be
> set by SIP providers to configure everything for their service.
>
> So who should install profiles? If each client install his set of
> profiles and the user install kopette and Empathy, he will have 2
> profiles for gabble... If the CM install profile how could we have
> translated fields, icons, etc? I don't know how to do that right.
>
> 2) ListAccounts, FindAccounts and GetOnlineAccounts does the same thing:
> finding accounts corresponding to some criterias. ListAccounts can be
> done using FindAccounts(NULL) and GetOnlineAccounts can be done using
> FindAccounts(["status", connected]).

Fixed in darcs.

3) AccountStatusChanged is on AccountManager and GetConnectionStatus is
> on Account... They should be both on the same object, but which one?

Fixed in darcs

4) ConnectAll: is that useful? The default presence is not defined in
> the spec... I think it can be easily replaced by SetGlobalPresence. Or
> maybe we should define in the spec that MC must save presence for all
> accounts and calling ConnectAll will restore saved presence? In that
> case ConnectAll could be renamed to ResorePresence?
>
> 5) RequestChannel: description says "putting the account online if
> necessary". Ok but with which presence? I think that method should just
> return an error NOT_CONNECTED in that case.
>
> 6) AccountStatusChanged: It gives the account's presence, is that
> useful? We have a signal for presence update on the account.

fixed in darcs

7) RequestChannel: handle_type should be u.

fixed in darcs

1, 4 and 5 are still to be fixed. Any suggestions?

That's all for now, I will update my branch with your suggestions.