[Telepathy] Improved chandler/filter system for MC

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 02:16:10 PDT 2007

Le vendredi 26 octobre 2007 à 10:42 +0200, Guillaume Desmottes a écrit :
> Le mardi 09 octobre 2007 à 14:55 +0200, Xavier Claessens a écrit :
> > 4) GTetrinet wants to receive Tubes channels and TubeID ONLY if the
> > tube's service is "tetrinet-x".
> >

> To be honest, I'm not sure if "tubes handler files" should be integrated
> with the chandler/filter system.
> Tubes applications don't care about channels (even the tubes channel),
> they just want to be notified when a new tube providing their service is
> offered.
> If we want to see tubes massively adopted by external apps, we have to
> make their integration as simple as possible.
>

> Another use case I'd like to see is the ability to *offer* a new tube
> using Empathy (It will still be possible to do it using directly the
> application of course).
> So, you right click on a contact or a muc, and have a sub-set of the
> "Applications" menu (only applications having tubes support), you
> choose, say, GTetrinet and we do all the magic to launch the app,
> request the tubes channel if needed and offer the tube to the
> contact/muc.
>
> Not sure how to do that for now but that would definitely be a rocking
> feature!

I'll add helper functions in Empathy of course, basically 2 functions:

empathy_tubes_offer(contact, service, socket);
to offer a socket to contact for a given service

socket empathy_tubes_get_socket(tubes_channel, tube_id);
when MC dispatch a tube channel the client call that function to get the
socket.

I'll read more in details tubes spec to make a complete API, but you get
the idea.

Xavier Claessens.