[Telepathy] Abiword's Collab plugin with Telepathy

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 06:20:10 PDT 2008

Le Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:21:52 +0200,
"Robert Staudinger" <robert.staudinger at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Alban Crequy
> <alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >  1. Alice writes an Abiword document and wants to share it with
> > Bob. She clicks on the "Share document" checkbox and selects Bob in
> > her contact list. Bob is online and receives the proposition from
> > Alice in his IM software. If he accepts, Abiword is started
> > automatically with the Alice's document.
>
> What happens if Bob does not accept to open it immediately? Will the
> document still be available for him to join the collaboration at a
> later point in time?

When Alice sends the proposition, a new tube is created on Bob's
computer and the tube is in the state Tube_State_Local_Pending:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec.html#type-Tube_State

The tube remains in this state until Bob accepts or closes the tube.

But Telepathy does not persist tubes: if Bob goes offline, the tube is
closed and Alice has to offer a tube again.

Simplified tube establishment diagram:
http://people.collabora.co.uk/~alban/d/2008/04/tube.png
http://people.collabora.co.uk/~alban/d/2008/04/tube.msc

> >  2. Bob was editing a document with 10 other persons yesterday. He
> > want to continue now but he does not remember who was hosting the
> > document. He browses the available documents from his contacts and
> > selects the right one. Alice receives the request from Bob and
> > accepts it. Abiword opens the Alice's document.
>
> So the token to edit a document is not persistent over collaboration
> sessions? Bob has to request again, although he's already been
> invited/authenticated before? I'd rather support use case 3. Alice
> should be able to revoke Bob's credentials anyways, right?

If we want to persist credentials and let users grant/revoke them, the
Collab plugin has to implement it: Telepathy does not persist anything
and does not offer any help for that.

--
Alban