[Telepathy] Accessing the ContactList for a connection.

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Feb 14 22:16:37 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 03:37 +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> As you may have spotted, recent tp-glib releases include a full
> client-side API which unlike libtp has full gtkdoc-ification, and should
> help a great deal with mapping between the specs and the binding APIs.

Yeah... I've got it all loaded into devhelp. So actually I'm a little
confused as to the relationship between libtelepathy and telepathy-glib.
Should I be using one or the other or both?

> For list handles, because they only appear on contact list channels, the
> appropriate documention pointer is here:
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec.html#org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.ContactList
>
> In brief, the list type handles (if present) correspond to string values
> like "subscribe" for the list of people whose presence you're subscribed
> to, "publish" for the list of people who are subscribed to your
> presence, "deny" for the list of people who may not see you or send
> messages to you, and as a special hidden feature (ahem...) on gabble,
> "known" corresponds to every member of the XMPP roster regardless of
> subscription state (people can be on the roster with subscription=none).

Cool. That's good to know. Is there a reason those strings aren't
defined as constants?

snip code

> The above should work better. :)

Yup. I can get a channel now. I've also figured out how to instantiate
interfaces and use them.  I used the
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Group and
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.Aliasing to get the list
of contacts in the ContactList and print out their aliases. Good stuff.

I'm curious about
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.ContactInfo and why it's
deprecated, but apparently not replaced?
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec.html#org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.ContactInfo
        THIS INTERFACE IS DEPRECATED AND SHOULD NOT BE USED. A new
        version will be proposed in the 0.13 specification branch.

But the spec is version 0.17.1, right?

I'm also curious about how to manage memory. Most things use
g_object_ref and _unref, but some things don't need them. For example,
interfaces should be unref()fed, but connections and channels don't?

Also, how is the OUT_arg1 of tp_conn_iface_aliasing_request_aliases
meant to be collected?

Things are starting to fit together, though. Thanks for the pointers.

(I've put my little console app at
http://firefighter.cs.binghamton.edu/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/mission-control-test/mission-control-test.c?root=svn&view=markup for anyone that might find it valuable).

> Regards,
> Rob