[Telepathy] telepathy-gabble: Arbitrary IQs, direct use of PEP?

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 08:15:58 PST 2008

Ar 27/02/2008 am 21:14, ysgrifennodd Eric Butler:
> Hey,
>
> Thanks for the reply. It looks like this OLPC stuff is fairly deeply
> integrated into the gabble sourcecode.
>
> Do you have an example of how I can do what I need without modifying
> gabble? Can it be done using Python?
>
> Thanks!

Currently, you can only interact with Gabble via its D-Bus API, and we don't
have a D-Bus API for sending arbitrary Jabber messages or even for publishing
arbitrary PubSub/PEP data. You could add such an API to Gabble, and then use
that API from your Python program.

We've resisted doing this so far because we favour interfaces that will likely
be usable for many different protocols. Telepathy was intended to hide the
details of the protocol from clients, so adding protocol-specific interfaces
is a bit odd. On the other hand, perhaps the benefits you see in Telepathy are
not the protocol abstraction but other things like connection sharing, in
which case a Jabber-specific interface might not be so odd.

I'm open to persuasion on this.

--
Dafydd