[Telepathy] Geolocation in Telepathy

Henri Bergius henri.bergius at iki.fi
Wed Feb 27 06:50:33 PST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Simon McVittie
<simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>  We at the Telepathy project are interested in integrating geolocation
>  into our presence APIs, implemented using things like
>  <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html>. Since GeoClue is
>  designing a D-Bus API for geolocation, it would make sense for us to use
>  the same D-Bus representations for locations.

Great!

Jussi, what is the status of the GeoClue API rewrite?

>  Of course, ideally the "other sources" would just be GeoClue sources, and
> the Telepathy client would only have to care about GeoClue.

That would be the recommended approach. GeoClue can abstract the
different position sources like GPS, Plazes and manually entered
location away.

>  It would of course be wonderful for our purposes if GeoClue's
>  representation of location aligned reasonably well with XEP-0080!

GeoClue civic location keys have been designed to match the XEP-0080
data format:
http://vilunki.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/wrapping-up/
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html#format

>     Simon