[Telepathy] retromessenger & telepathy

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 10:06:51 PDT 2008

Hi Max,

You should think of Telepathy as an API which you can use to interface
client(s) with protocol backend(s) (which we call connection managers).
If you can make use of D-Bus or some of our client libraries from your
UI, you can use that to access any connection manager. So:

a) If you're interested in your own UI which can access multiple
protocols, then you can just write your UI on top of the Telepathy API.
You can then use the protocols supported by libpurple via Telepathy
Haze, which is a connection manager which exposes libpurple protocols
through the Telepathy API.

b) If you're interested in allowing existing Telepathy clients (Empathy,
the Nokia Internet Tablets, Kopete maybe, etc) in using your protocol
implementation, then you can write a connection manager which allows
your protocol to be used via the Telepathy API.

c) If you're interested in both, you can do both, and have your own UI
which will be able to use your own Telepathy connection manager for the
Retroshare protocol, but will also be able to use existing Telepathy
backends.

Given that Retroshare is the innovative/new functionality here, which
presumably you'd like to encourage people to use, I'd focus first on b),
and implementing a Telepathy connection manager for this protocol. Then
you can encourage people to use an existing Telepathy UI such as
Empathy. If you have people who are keen to work on the UI, then they
can improve Empathy to the benefit of all of your, as well as all of the
other Telepathy users.

Regards,
Rob