[Telepathy] telepathy-qt4 cmake branch ready for review

Andre Moreira Magalhaes andre.magalhaes at collabora.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 10:51:21 PDT 2009

Ian Monroe wrote:
 > So Siraj and I have been working on adding cmake to much of the
Telepathy

http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/imonroe/telepathy-qt4-cmake.git;a=summary

 > One issue is that for some reason I receive odd compile problems if I
do make
 > -j3. Its a moc issue that I've gotten with another unrelated projects
so I'm
 > hoping its just me.
 >
 > Short summary on usage:
 > In the source directory, mkdir build; cd build; cmake ..
 > This configures the build. Then run make to build, make install to
install.

 > After you build it, you can run make test to run all the tests. Use
ctest -V
 > to see what the errors are. ctest -V -R nameOfTest to run only the
specified
 > test.
 >
 > make distcheck runs a python script that I wrote that hopefully
performs all
 > the tasks that automake's distcheck performed, including building,
generating
 > docs and running tests. It uses git clone to ensure that the tarball
is clean
 > of local edits.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Ian

As discussed on #telepathy, we seem to have some divergence regarding
cmake usage.
Some people believe that if we change tp-qt4 to cmake, we should change
all other tp projects using autotools as well. I believe as a long term,
this is a right solution, but as a mid term we should change only tp-qt4.
Reasons:
- Most qt related projects uses cmake, so this is the de-facto standard
for qt projects
- Make it easy to build on Windows (this is also valid for other projects)
- Changing tp-qt4 first, we will be able to find any problem related to
cmake usage and fix it before changing other projects
- Learning curve, for those who don't know cmake yet, they could look at
how tp-qt4 cmake is done

Basically that's it,

What do you guys think?

Regards