[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: telepathy-gabble 0.8.9

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:30:55 PST 2009

Announcing telepathy-gabble 0.8.9, the “tender limbs of America's
favorite homemaker” release. telepathy-gabble is the Jabber (XMPP)
connection manager for the Telepathy real-time communication framework.
0.8.x releases are a stable branch.

This release fixes an issue where Gabble would unnecessarily probe a
number of proxy servers on every sign-in, wasting bandwidth and angering
server admins.

tarball: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-gabble/telepathy-gabble-0.8.9.tar.gz
signature: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-gabble/telepathy-gabble-0.8.9.tar.gz.asc

git: git://git.collabora.co.uk/git/telepathy-gabble.git
gitweb: http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-gabble.git

Enhancements:

• Gabble now advertises a 'pmuc-v1' capability bundle, telling the Google Mail
  client that we support being invited to MUCs. (fd.o#22768, jonnylamb)

• Rather than hard-coding a list of SOCKS5 proxy servers to use if the user's
  own XMPP server does not provide one, Gabble now falls back to a list of
  proxy servers returned by discoing the newly-set-up proxies.telepathy.im.
  (fd.o#25304, cassidy)

Changes:

• The fallback STUN server is now stun.telepathy.im.

Fixes:

• Always assume that MUC servers will let us change the subject, mitigating
  fd.o #13157; previously we assumed they would only let moderators change
  the subject. (smcv)

• The password param is now flagged as secret. (fd.o #24558, smcv)

• MUC servers are no longer sent a service discovery request the first time you
  request a handle for a room on that server. This was unnecessary—we can just
  try to join it, and if it fails it fails—and meant we couldn't join Google
  Talk's MUCs (since their server doesn't respond to the discos). (fd.o#21152,
  jonnylamb)

• If the TargetID in a MUC request has no server, canonicalize it. Previously
  this was only done in RequestHandles() calls. (fd.o#22456, jonnylamb)

• If built with --disable-assumed-ft-cap, Gabble does not advertise support for
  file transfers unless a handler is available. This is opt-in for
  backwards-compatibility reasons; distros should only turn this flag on if
  they're sure the FT capability is turned on when it should be by Mission
  Control. (fd.o#25243, smcv)

• Only disco SOCKS5 proxies when they're needed for a file transfer or tube.
  (fd.o#21151, cassidy)

Will