[Telepathy] Telepathy, Python, and Google Voice

Edward Page eopage at byu.net
Thu Dec 24 15:29:41 PST 2009

I'm working on a GoogleVoice connection manager.  So far
telepathy-butterfly's source code. the dbus spec, and empathy's source
code have been huge helps in implementing this.  Earlier this week I
had an SMS conversation with someone in Empathy.  My goal is to have
this all on Maemo 4.1 and Maemo 5 with RTComm, I'm running with
Empathy because I assumed it would be easier debugging on the desktop.

The part where I'm hung up is calls (no pun intended).  My plan was to
use a Streamed Media channel that upon requesting the stream would
immediately advertise it as disconnected.

What I've done so far is to have a .profile file with voice-p2p
advertised in it (though I don't have mc installed ... I think),
advertise audio capability through the Capabilities interface, and
implement my Streamed Media channel with both the Group interface and
Call State interface.

Empathy has the microphone icon next to all of the contacts and I can
select "Call" from the context menu.  When I do, it opens the chat
window with a displayed status of "Connecting" but my Connection
doesn't see any Request Channel calls made as far as I could tell.

I dug through the empathy source code and it looked like the whole
process for requesting the channel gets started in
empathy_call_window_bus_message which looks like a callback for
observing gstreamer.  I haven't run empathy through a debugger but my
guess is that callback isn't being called.  I'm not too sure why its
watching gstreamer right there and what I need to do to get things
moving forward.  Any thoughts?

For background:
Ubuntu 9.04 (yeah, been too busy to upgrade)
Empathy 2.26.1
python-telepathy 0.15-7

For any interested
git clone https://git.maemo.org/projects/theonering