[Telepathy] how to use empathy's TubeHandler in python?

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Tue Feb 17 22:04:29 PST 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to use one-to-one D-Tubes in python. I've got them working (the
objects can call and signal each other) but Empathy puts up an error message
saying that it wasn't handled. I asked on the #telepathy, and smcv and wjt
told me that for the time being, I have to do an Empathy-specific thing, with
the proper interface coming in MC5.

As far as I can tell, this should be the EmpathyTubeHandler, which appears in
the python-empathy library as empathy.TubeHandler; however, when I try to
instantiate that class, I get: NotImplementedError: empathy.TubeHandler is an
abstract widget

I also tried requesting the name "org.gnome.Empathy.DTubeHandler.%s"%SERVICE
from D-Bus; that looks like it's close to the right thing, because when the
tube arrives, Empathy falls over (mostly because I don't have any real object
attached there).

Google finds very little in the way of either documentation or code...

What am I doing wrong, please? Is there a function in python-empathy that I
should be calling? Example code that I should be copying? Documentation that
I should be reading?

The code I'm using is: http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri/tubes/example.py
and my understanding: http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri/tubes/tubes-howto.html

Jiri