[Telepathy] How to start a Farsight conference with Telepathy

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 07:56:53 PST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 at 14:22:31 +0100, Fabien LOUIS wrote:
> I understand that Telepathy manages contacts, channels creation and that
> Farsight manages media sending and receiving, but I don't know how to
> use them together.

Telepathy channels with the MediaSignalling interface require the
Telepathy client (UI) to do the actual streaming; using Farsight2 via
telepathy-farsight
<http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-farsight/>
is the recommended way to do that. If you hand the channel over to
telepathy-farsight then you won't have to interact with MediaSignalling
at all.

telepathy-stream-engine is a daemon that does the same job, using the
code that evolved into telepathy-farsight. We no longer recommend it for
most uses.

> If there is some documentation or example explaining the link between
> farsight, telepathy, stream engine, I would be glad to read it.

The source code of telepathy-farsight (or telepathy-stream-engine) would
probably be the best reference for how MediaSignalling works. In the
latest telepathy-spec release (0.17.19) I rewrote the introduction to that
interface to try to at least explain why it works the way it does.

The MediaSignalling interface is rather an awkward API for historical
reasons - we intend to fix this in a later version of telepathy-spec.

    Simon