[Telepathy] empathy busy/away status icons color

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 04:50:23 PDT 2009

Le lundi 22 juin 2009 à 12:39 +0200, Fernando a écrit :
> Hello.
> I've started using empathy and I find quite disorienting the colors
> that are used for the status icons.
>
> Every messaging client I know of (Pidgin, Gajim, Gtalk, MSN, Yahoo)
> uses a red icon for the "busy" status, while the "away" status icon is
> either yellow or some white/light color. This color scheme is pretty
> much a de-facto standard in IM clients, imho.
>
> I think that empathy should follow this guidelines, as it's intended
> to give support to these protocols. For me it's quite confusing and I
> usually tend to think that someone is away when it's busy and busy
> when it's away.
>
> I've attached a recolored version of the icons in this email, in svg.
> What's your opinion?

The rational here is that you have no chance to get a reply from an away
contact, while busy contacts could reply but with some delay. So away is
worst than busy, so away is red and busy orange. That's pretty intuitive
IMO.

Otoh, status icon should really be moved to the icon theme. That should
not be empathy's problem. There is already a bug open about that IIRC.

Xavier Claessens.