[Telepathy] MC5 and my GSoC project for Banshee

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 11:11:51 PDT 2009

Neil Loknath wrote:
> So, you're saying that if MC5 is not told, the Requests.NewChannels
> signal will not be raised when Requests.CreateChannel is called?

No, it'll still fire. But MC5 catches NewChannels, and if it can't find
an application to which to dispatch an incoming channel, it closes it.

> I think the hack is missing one feature that is very important to me:
> advertising that a contact provides a tube service before the tube is
> actually offered. That is why I am using SetSelfCapabilities. It lets
> me filter out contacts that can't participate in my tube service. (ie.
> contact is not running Banshee, Banshee is running but doesn't have my
> Telepathy extension installed, the Telepathy Extension was running,
> but isn't anymore, etc.)
>
> So, unless there is something that I'm missing, registering an object
> with dbus name org.gnome.Empathy.DTubeHandler.myservice does not
> actually advertise to other contacts that the service is there. ie.
> the ContactCapabilitiesChanged signal is not raised and
> GetContactCapabilities does not indicate that the service is there. Is
> there a workaround that would provide that functionality?

Nope; the "workaround" is that Mission Control 5 will do this for you.
:-) It will call SetSelfCapabilities() based on the types of channel
installed/running clients can handle, keeping it up to date as clients
open and exit if necessary.

--
Will