[Telepathy] [empathy] Restore previous state (enhancement)

Almer S. Tigelaar almer at gnome.org
Sun Mar 1 06:56:12 PST 2009

Hello Telepathy/Empathy Hackers,

I use empathy on a daily basis, one of the things that annoyed me a bit
is that it does not restore the previous state when restarted. Hence, I
decided to fix this.

The attached patch (made against HEAD) adds an option to the preferences
dialog "Restore previous state on start-up". When set empathy stores the
presence state set when exiting and restores that state when starting
again (given that 'autoconnect' is set).

This issue is also mentioned in Bugzilla bugs 558547 and 558289.

Here are some thoughts about this patch and functionality in general:
1) UI-wise the 'restore state' button should probably be disabled
   (not sensitive) when autoconnect is not set. Also, we could
   'indent' the restore state checkbox a bit as a hint to the user.
2) Functionality-wise we could store the presence state each time
   it is changed instead of storing it just on exit. That is a bit
   more expensive, but would make the functionality more crash
   resistant. On the other hand: empathy should never crash of
   course :)

Let me know what you think about this patch. I can make some further
changes if necessary.

With kind regards,

Almer S. Tigelaar

P.S. I saw there is work on a new presence chooser widget. Maybe this
functionality is already integrated there. If not, I am willing to look
into it.

P.P.S. Sorry for the size of the patch. Glade apparently thinks much has
changed (while I only expanded a vbox and added a checkbox really).

P.P.P.S. Empathy code looks/reads nice, well done! :)