[Telepathy] Just what is stream directionality?

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 16:47:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 07:20:32PM -0300, Olivier Cr?te wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 22:11 +0000, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > You never have any guarantee that the remote side will actually send though.
> > You can argue whether it makes sense to request the remote side to start
> > sending immediately  (apart from when the call is initiating), as it should
> > always be something the user on the other side decides not their peer.
>
> You want to be able to tell the other end to stop sending (its called
> hold) and start again (unhold), but we have a specific API for that.

Right, this is a different semantic though, and there are different messages
for them as well. Also hold has a bit more information and is still mostly
informational:

  hold: Please stop sending, i'm not listening anymore, you're just wasting
        bandwidth if you keep sending or if you're going to send now.
  unhold: I'm listening again, you can start sending again.

  Sjoerd
--
I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.
		-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"