[Telepathy] possible Bug Ubuntu 9.10 and GNOME, Empathy, Nautilus 2.18.1

Edenhofer Stefan edenhofer.stefan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:40:47 PST 2009

Hi,

i don´t know if this is a appropriate place for my questions, but
nevertheless i have to report this. This bug bugs me ^^

For a good week ago, i made a dist-upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 which comes
with a new version of gnome.

I heard about Empathy but i preferred pidgin, but only because it was
built in with ubuntu, don´t get me wrong ^^.

So with the new dist-upgrade i wanted to use empathy as my standard.

Yesterday the first crash came up. Stupid like i was, i clicked the
error pop up away. I didn´t read it, i only clicked restart program and
it was working again.

Today i got the second crash.

The only thing i did before the second crash,

i tried to send an screenshot with empathy to an contact in my list. I
tried to use Nautilus´s feature "Send to..". I selected Empathy and then
nothing happened, i clicked the send button and this error message
appeared: (null)
Right after this error, empathy worked.

Some moments later i wanted to send a normal text message to one of my
contacts and everything froze to ice.
For instance, I couldn ´t switch to my other workspaces, no button
accepted any clicks etc.

btw. Kile 2.1 beta(Latex KDE Editor) was running, maybe this should be
noticed.

So i pressed Crtl+Alt+f1 and killed empathy. I saw following message in
my shell: xhost: unable to open display ""

my questions, could this be a bug or is my system instable?

greets Stefan