[Telepathy] Memory leak in Telepathy/Empathy when connecting to Openfire XMPP

David Harper david.harper at city-link.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 03:02:26 PDT 2009

Hi,

Myself and other users are finding that connecting to an Openfire XMPP server
with Empathy causes a memory leak in the server until it falls over.

Having upgraded to the pre-release Ubuntu with new Telepathy Tubes (the only person
connecting to our server at has), the symptoms started to occur. Not connecting
Empathy and they don't.

I have also filed a bug/comment against the server as I'm not sure who's fault
this is:http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/196905

There is some good discussion there with some users having looked further into causes.

With Telepathy going default in Ubuntu in the next couple of weeks this could
cause a major issue with people using Openfire servers.

Having reported it to Empathy/Gnome they've said it's not their issue and to try here!

Thanks for any help.

--
David Harper
Web Application Developer

individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and
confidential information. If you have received this message in
error or there are any problems, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your computer. The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is forbidden. This message has been checked for all
known viruses by City Link prior to sending.