[Telepathy] Buildbot wishlist

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 07:21:49 PDT 2010

Hi,

As of pretty recently, courtesy of Sjoerd, we have a Telepathy Buildbot!
It lives at <http://buildbot.telepathy.im/>, and on #telepathy as
a{sv}bot. Currently it's reasonably rudimentary: it builds and runs
tests for a couple of configurations of Gabble and one configuration of
Wocky on i386 and amd64, and announces builds which succeed or fail on
IRC. Adam's going to be spending some time making it do more.

I've asked around a bit, and I think the priorities for improving it are:

• Make it build more components: telepathy-glib, telepathy-qt4,
mission-control, farsight, telepathy-farsight, telepathy-logger,
Empathy, salut, haze, and idle come to mind in roughly descending order
of priority.
• Make it run out-of-tree builds, and run distcheck instead of just
check. (The former failing trips up people like me who routinely build
out of tree, and also breaks the latter, which trips up people making
releases.)
• Make the IRC bot more useful, by announcing who broke the build,
providing a link to the relevant web page, and maybe keeping quiet when
the build succeeds. (The more projects and targets it builds, the more
annoying announcing successful builds will be.)

Possible other improvements:

• Make the bot poke people who break the build on XMPP. I believe the
IRC bot uses Telepathy, so hooking it up to XMPP as well shouldn't be
too hard. :) But maybe this is overkill.
• Perhaps we could make it produce nightly .debs, to aid those who like
to dogfood master?

Oh Great Telepathy List: any other ideas for the buildbot?

--
Will