[Telepathy] API Draft for high level tubes in tp-qt4

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:44:02 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 21:37:59 Dario Freddi wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2010 18:30:03 Olli Salli wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > please find attached a new version of tp-qt4 high level tubes.
> > >
> > > This time they're really high level - I tried keeping the API (and
> > > parameters as well) as similar as possible to tp-qt4 file transfers -
> > > it also features the same mean of creation by using
> > > TubeChannelCreationProperties.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > The device attribute I'm not really getting - why would an app
> > requesting a tube have a relevant IO device already? Connecting
> > sockets to sockets when implementing a "tunneling" application? I
> > think this is cargo-cult from FT, where one provides the file to send
> > by providing a QIODevice - this is an abstraction for giving it an
> > existing "file" of any kind. However, the use case here is completely
> > different. One should consider setting up an outgoing stream tube
> > analogous to connecting a TCP socket from a client to a server for
> > communication. One should be able to easily replace the TCP connect
> > logic in a networked app by offering a d-bus tube with the remaining
> > app logic remaining the same (using a QIODevice for communication,
> > this time it being the tube instead of a QTcpSocket set up by the
> > application).
>
> As suggested, I changed the offer function in OutgoingStreamTubeChannel to:
>
> PendingIODevice *offerTube(const QString &name, const QHostAddress
> &address, const QVariantMap &parameters);

Of course I meant:

PendingIODevice *offerTube(const QHostAddress &address, const QVariantMap
&parameters);

And in Account:

PendingChannelRequest *createStreamTube(
            const ContactPtr &contact,
            const QString &serviceName,
            const QDateTime &userActionTime = QDateTime::currentDateTime(),
            const QString &preferredHandler = QString());

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B