[Telepathy] Certificate verification in empathy

Stef Walter stefw at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 15:05:09 PST 2010

On 2010-12-07 16:54, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 12/7/10 3:48 PM, Stef Walter wrote:
>> So I imagine we should keep the terminology separate if 'pinning' a
>> certificate already has a distinct meaning.
>
> To be clear, a self-signed certificate isn't a fit subject for checking
> the certificate path (there is none), the revocation status (there's no
> one to revoke it), etc. In the spec I've pointed you to, we don't
> discuss self-signed certificates at all (and that's by design). However,
> I think you could use the term "pinning" with regard both to CA-issued
> certs that trigger identity mismatches and to self-signed certs.

I like the term pinning. It describes well what's going on. I'll
consider using it in the various function names and object names.

We need to come up with a general consensus on the behavior when:

 * An expired certificate is pinned.
 * An invalid self-signed certificate is pinned.

In no case can a pinned certificate change after the fact. Such pinning
or 'certificate exceptions' as I was calling them must always use either
the full DER value of the certificate (or a cryptographically strong
hash) to identify the certificate.

So the questions I have are:

 * Should the user be allowed to 'pin' a inherently invalid certificate:
   (not yet valid, already expired, bad signature)
 * If an already pinned certificate expires, is it still considered
   pinned?

May seem like nitpicking but that's important with security. Do you know
of any previous discussion about this?

Cheers,

Stef