[Telepathy] API sketches for encrypted channels, and OTR

Eitan Isaacson eitan.isaacson at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 14:51:59 PST 2010

Hello!

I have been thinking about how we could best expose SSL verification
over Telepathy to allow client interactivity. Cosimo's proposal is a
good preliminary sketch of what it would look like, I hope to expand on
it below, and ultimately land something in the spec.

I see client interaction in two main cases:
1. Accepting/rejecting a given certificate from a server or E2E session.
2. Providing a certificate for an E2E session.

I think it would be nice if the API was simple, and would not require
clients to deal with server verification if they didn't wish to (ie.
verification would stay non-interactive on the CM). Since we are only
really dealing with certificate exchanges, I think it is best to hide
all other handshake details and such in the CM, and only notify the
client when we are ready to accept or send a certificate.

org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.Verification
This is an anonymous channel when dealing with server verification. It
would have a contact handle (or list id?), when dealing with E2E
sessions.

If the channel is closed at any pre-verified state, the behavior returns
to the legacy non-interactive CM verification. When a ChannelDispatcher
is arbitrating, and no known handlers exist, it will close this channel,
and thus current clients would function properly.

Methods
-------
GetCertificate (): This would return a
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.SSLCertVerification object if it is available.
Will return a null object path if not.

SendCertificate (s: Cert): This method takes a PEM encoded certificate
for E2E verification. Are there cases where a server would require a
client certificate? This would be useful for that too.

Properties
----------
State: Verification_State(u): Indicates what stage of the verification
we are in.

Signals
-------
StateChanged (u: State): The state of the channel has changed, a good
path for accepting a remote certificate or sending one.

Types
-----
Verification_State:
	(0) None: Awaiting remote certificate or response.
	(1) AcceptCertificate: Waiting for client to accept remote certificate.
	(2) CertificateRequested: Waiting for client to send client
certificate.
	(3) Verified: Verification is complete.
	(4) Failed: Failed to verify.

org.freedesktop.Telepathy.SSLCertVerification
This type contains certificate information as well as methods for
accepting/rejecting the given certificate. Typically a client could use
these objects for creating and storing certificate exceptions, for
example, accepting a self-signed certificate and storing it for future
sessions.

Methods
-------
Accept (): Self explanatory, accept the certificate.
Reject (): Reject the certificate. If this is a server certificate We
will subsequently get a StatusChanged signal from the Connection with
the a status of Disconnected, and a proper Cert_* reason.

Properties
----------
status that the CM provides. The CM is responsible for a preliminary
verification using such standard CAs such
as /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/telepathy/certs. This property is writable and can be
changed to any status the client deems. If a certificate is rejected,
this property is used as the reason.

Certificate: s: This is the full PEM encoded certificate.

Types
-----
Certificate_Status:
	(0) None