[Telepathy] Announce: telepathy-gabble 0.9.12

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 20:43:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Frederik Nnaji
<frederik.nnaji at gmail.com> wrote:
> how about communicating via imap/smtp conversation style?
> google already merges IM chats with email conversation threads.
> wouldn't that be something worth phantasizing about for the Free desktop?

That would probably drive my friends completely insane. …More than I
already do with my incredible 24/7 omni-presence (with message
logging, on every service they use) ;)

On a more serious note, though, I was imagining that in the context of
tubes a while ago. Indeed, it doesn't really fit the style of
Telepathy, but I can picture a turn-based game or collaboration app
working transparently through email. In that case it supports an
indefinite time delay, so one can stop what he's doing, come back
later and be dropped back at the previous state in the “conversation.”

All in all, probably better suited to some other library / system (no
need for a daemon, is there?) since the semantics are totally
different. No longer instant, but delayed with some kind of logging
_assured_ as part of the system. Also, it's quite a realistic
possibility that the user could be reading an email generated by that
system in a regular email client, like Evolution.

Awesome release, by the way. Once Empathy lands multi-user calls,
someone should make a parody of this thing:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/facetime.html :b

Dylan