[Telepathy] ssh over telepathy?

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Sun Mar 14 14:56:25 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 18:51 +0100, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Cross-platform compatibility.
>

> Telepathy uses DBUS. While DBUS exists on many platforms, it does not
> exist "by default" on MacOS X or on Windows. Requiring user to install
> DBUS and Telepathy so they could play your game is not nice.
>

> On the other hand, having the prototype of network support developed
> initially on GNU/Linux using Telepathy, and later on adding
> Telepathy-less XMPP+connection support would be a great solution.
>

> Really, getting connection established via Telepathy is great
> precisely because it's a connection sharing infrastructure; a game
> established through IM could go through Telepathy on platforms where
> it is available, and through a direct XMPP connection on platforms
> where it's not easily available.

It seems to me that you're much better serviced by just using Telepathy
on those platforms, that you can use as many Telepathy enabled clients
as you want. There is an effort to port Telepathy to Windows. I'm not
sure about OSX, but I'd assume it already runs.

It would be easy enough to package Gabble, Mission Control and D-Bus up
into a package that can just be installed.

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk