[Telepathy] Telepathy 1.0 will never happen

Travis Reitter travis.reitter at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 12:53:18 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 18:15 +0100, Will Thompson wrote:
> On 01/06/11 09:15, Xavier Claessens wrote:
>
> I think making handles disappear entirely is probably the best fix. I
> appreciate that they appear in the high-level API for telepathy-glib in
> a bunch of places: I haven't looked over how much pain it would be to
> hide them everywhere. But generally I would like them to suffer a timely
> demise.

If you're set on removing handles, try to make sure there's still a
consistent way to represent contacts which haven't yet been created or
have since been destroyed.

Folks doesn't have a good way to represent pending Personas (read:
contacts) which can make things awkward in the client. We'll probably
fix this in the medium-term by having our add_persona_*() functions
return a Persona immediately and fill in the details (or notify
destruction in case of failure) later. It's not ideal, but switching to
an intermediate ID (like TpHandle) for 2.x seemed like a cleaner fix.
What issues would moving away from TpHandle fix?

Regards,
-Travis