[Telepathy] File Transfers and Sockets - getting butterfly to work with KDE Telepathy

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 13:44:23 PDT 2011

I've been trying to get telepathy-butterfly to work with KDE
Telepathy. We make use of the URI parameter as we have a separate
handler for file transfers and this needed changes in the CM, so I
fixed it \o/

Unfortunately it now fails in a whole new way and I've reached a point
where I'm stuck.

Our file transfer starts, the other contact gets to their approver and
their file-transfer-handler.

Butterfly then fails, with telepathy stating "socket type 2 is
unsupported". Socket type 2 is IPv4 according to
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Channel_Interface_Tube.html#Enum:Socket_Address_Type.
 Telepathy butterfly only supports unix socket types.

My question is "who is responsible for setting this socket type?" .

I've searched round TelepahtyQt4 and it doesn't seem to set it, though
there is a fantastic line in the documentation: " All connection
Managers support at least SocketAddressTypeIPv4.", this clearly isn't
true.

I can't see how this can be the client's fault as it doesn't do
anything with sockets, butterfly seems to be doing the right thing -
it only advertises supported unix socket types, but then gets given a
different one, and it's not lib-telepathy-qt4. This only leaves
mission-control which I know nothing about. - and it can't be mission
control's fault because it works in Empathy.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dave