[Telepathy] Storing passwords in MC and regsitering new accounts.

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 19:12:20 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 16:28 +0100, David Edmundson wrote:
> Apparently storing passwords in mission control is deprecated. So we
> (in KDE Telepathy) have replaced it with storing the passwords with
> taking any 'password' parameter and placing it in KWallet.

> We've taken this to mean we should not pass any "password" parameters
> to MC. Is this correct?
> If we do pass them our users (potentially) get bombarded with dialogs
> for gnome-keyring, and the password gets stored in two places.

The correct mechanism is to create a handler for the SASL auth channel
type that implements the X-TELEPATHY-PASSWORD method. You can then
provide your own authentication dialog, and save the password wherever
you wish (i.e. KWallet). When a Connection Manager requires a password,
it will create one of these channels, and you can either provide the
password from KWallet or prompt for it.

Eventually the 'password' parameter will be deprecated and then
eventually removed from all CMs.

Take a look at 'empathy-auth-client' and
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Channel_Interface_SASL_Authentication.html

Hope this helps,

--danni

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk