[Telepathy] Storing passwords in MC and regsitering new accounts.

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 16:22:44 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 12:18 +0100, David Edmundson wrote:

> That's what we're now doing - good to know we're on the right thing.
>
> I don't think I explained my problem well enough - when we're creating
> a telepathy account to connect to an existing jabber account that all
> works fine.
>
> However, when I'm creating a new telepathy account that registers a
> new account on the server (to use the same terminology as Empathy
> "Create a new account" rather than "use an existing account") the
> password _needs_ to be sent as a parameter.

> ..but I've been told I want to avoid sending any password parameters,
> because otherwise MC will try and store them and I have my
> gnome-keyring mess.

Oh, I see. Hmm, that's annoying. That could be a bug in Gabble or
Mission Control? Perhaps Gabble should prompt for the new password via
the same mechanism?

To be honest, I think the current account-creation mechanism is broken
and not worth supporting (it doesn't work with many Jabber accounts tbh,
I don't think it works with nearly anything else). I've been thinking
for a while that it needs replacing to allow for richer registration,
and be able to support challenge-response type thingies (e.g. if the
server sends back a captcha). I'd be tempted just not to implement it
for now.

I'm thinking instead that registration should be an interface on
Protocol, which creates a Registration object, and once you've done that
it can return an a{sv} of parameters you can use to create the account.

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk