[Telepathy] Building telepathy-gabble

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 15:57:56 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 15:32 +0100, Dawid Nowak wrote:

> cd ~/Workspace/telepathy-glib
> ./autogen.sh
> cd ~/Workspace/telepathy-gabble
> ./autogen.sh
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/dawid/Workspace/telepathy-glib/telepathy-glib/

I would install the libraries into a prefix, e.g. Workspace/install/
Add --prefix=/home/dawid/Workspace/install/ and then pass
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/dawid/Workspace/install/lib/pkgconfig/ in your
environment.

Do a make install

> *This failed as WOCKY is not compiled *

Strange.

> *So after all this, I still can't use telepathy-gabble because of
> versioning problem with libtelepathy-glib.so.0.*

At this point, it should work correctly, because the linker will add an
rpath for your prefix. Otherwise you can set the env var
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> ldd src/.libs/telepathy-gabble shows that it links against the library in
> libtelepathy-glib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libtelepathy-glib.so.0
> where it really should be something like this
> *libtelepathy-glib.so.0 =>
> ~/Workspace/telepathy-glib/telepathy-glib/src/.libs*

The linker won't set an rpath for this, so it will find the system
library, you can force the matter with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/Workspace/telepathy-glib/telepathy-glib/src/.libs/
however, I'd use the --prefix option.

For reference, here's an alias I use:
alias my-autogen='PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/danni/src/install/lib/pkgconfig/
CFLAGS="-ggdb -O0" ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/danni/src/install
--disable-scrollkeeper'

N.B. --disable-scrollkeeper is a legacy GNOME flag, scrollkeeper
couldn't install into a prefix.

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk