[Telepathy] Ang: Re: Pictogram support (Montreal Summit)

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 18:18:27 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 23:19 +0200, Mats Lundälv wrote:

> Thanks both for this interesting information about the preconditions
> for graphics in IM! The XEP-0231
> specs look quite promising (to an amateur in the techy field, as I
> am)!

To me, this seems like the way forward. It's worth noting that Empathy
is modular, and so a different chat component could be used to provide a
palette of images, or something, for people who wish to chat this way,
which would prepare a message using inline graphics that any user could
view.

This would require some work in Telepathy-Gabble and Empathy to support
rich-text messages (which we want to do eventually anyway).

> Another question then: Is there any support currently for Ruby
> Annotation  in any of these IM protocols?
> If not; Are there any discussions going on concerning this afayk?

Not as far as I know, however, this is an XML specification (as is
XMPP), and XMPP is designed to be extensible, so it would probably not
be too difficult to draft a XEP (extension to XMPP) to support it. We've
implemented our own feature drafts in Telepathy-Gabble before (Tubes,
Muji), so I don't think another would hurt. It would allow two Telepathy
users to chat together (assuming their UIs understood the message type).
Other chat programs could choose to implement the XEP too.

--danni

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk