[Telepathy] Empathy client interfacing with the XO's Sugar

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 3 10:19:01 PDT 2012

On 04/03/2012 01:09 PM, Alex Waterman wrote:
> I have been looking at possibilities of getting a native video chat app
> going fro the XO's over the past couple weeks. I am thinking that it would
> be really cool if Empathy interfaced with Sugar directly.

This is a great and worthy idea.

> This mostly
> means implementing a few DBus method calls, something that I think should
> be pretty reasonable. Does this seem like something that is reasonably
> doable for Empathy? Would there be any interest in seeing a Sugar version
> for Empathy?

IMHO the right way to do this is almost 100% from the Sugar side.  There
are already standards for the functionality in question, and Telepathy
provides implementations of this functionality.  Empathy and Sugar are
both built on top of Telepathy, so they should be able to communicate
using existing standards.  The issue is mostly on the Sugar end; Sugar is
simply not configured by default to support these standards.

I haven't kept up to date with Sugar network implementations, but
essentially what is needed is a (pretty simple) Sugar activity that
exposes the standard functionality for video chat.  Sugar already has a
mechanism to identify specific activities as handling specific Telepathy
functions/protocols, so that an incoming video call could be shown to the
user as a "Video Chat Activity" session.  (This is already in place for
text chat and the corresponding "Chat" activity.)

--Ben