[Telepathy] Authorizing new buddies

Jason Talley jbtalley98 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 09:24:55 PDT 2012

Hello,
   Is there a call flow/sequence that would suggest on how to handle a
new buddy authentication?  I'm assuming
tp_contact_authorize_publication_async is the method to actually
authorize a new request.  But how does one know that this IS a new
request?

I can receive contact list notifications, updates, etc... just fine.
However, I'm not sure what to do when a new user wants to add me as a
buddy.  The request comes in the same as an existing buddy when I
login.  How do I know the difference between an existing auth'd user
update and a completely new user?  If I was always online, you could
argue that any new user needs to be auth'd, but how would you tell if
you were NOT online when the request came in that a buddy needed auth?

I can think of a few ways, but it seems like I'm missing something I can query
if the buddy has been auth'd or not.  That would
certainly solve my issue.

I've not examined the Empathy source yet -- I'm working on something
that was handed to me.  I trust the original author enough to know
that a lot of what I am working with should be correct.