[Telepathy] MSN retiring?

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 03:18:31 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Pedro Francisco
<pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Simon McVittie
> <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 13/12/12 19:57, Spoon Reloaded wrote:
>>> "We will retire Messenger in all countries worldwide in the first
>>> quarter of 2013 (with the exception of mainland China[...])."
>>>
>> -snip
>> I don't know how this affects use of MSN via Microsoft's "Live Connect"
>> XMPP bridge (announced last December) and telepathy-gabble, which is
>> what you get if you add a Windows Live account in GNOME Online Accounts.
>> My pessimistic assumption is that this will also cease to work; but
>> we'll see.
>
> Completely guessing here: since Skype will still maintain MSN
> connectivity, and since Skype already supported Facebook messaging --
> my guess with XMPP as well, I'm guessing the MSN XMPP bridge was
> created specififically to avoid implementing the full MSNP protocol on
> Skype.
> As I said, I'm guessing all this, but this would mean MSN XMPP would
> last a few more months/years.

Well I guessed wrong, sorry:
«We recently announced that we’ll begin to encourage Messenger users
to start using Skype. As a result, the Messenger developer program
will end. Existing implementations that use Extensible Messaging and
Presence Protocol (XMPP) will continue to work until October 2013.
Existing implementations that use MSP will continue to work until
March 2014. For support for existing XMPP implementations, please
visit our Forums page.» at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/ff519582.aspx (via
https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/15387 ).