[Telepathy] telepathy-python

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Fri Aug 21 14:53:34 PDT 2015

> Let's face it, you have literally decided that telepathy-glib generated
> bindings are not as good, not as python like, etc. I only have one
> argument for you, having ported a lot, the difference between both is
> very little. Have you ever thought of using help method in python btw ?
>
> Nicolas

Ok, yes you're right I did discount gi.repository out of hand, and perhaps
that was unfair.

I needed a connection manager fast and felt learning the telepathy spec was
enough to be frustrated with at once.

However to actually do anything to help with the gi.repository python
bindings, I'd need to understand how it actually works. I've tried on a few
occasions to find documentation explaining how you go from gobjects to a
typelib to something importable into a dynamic language, and have yet to find
information on any of those steps.

After years of working with python, reading really verbose C code like what's
commonly in Gnome is just a really unpleasant way of trying to understand
something.

Diane