[Telepathy] TURN servers in Empathy

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 09:03:35 PST 2015

On 26/01/15 16:35, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
> On 26/01/15 08:51 AM, Dominik George wrote:
>> Technically, the servers could be split, but as all relevant TURN
>> server implementations also do STUN and there is no reason to
>> disable that, I think it is a very safe bet.
>
> All TURN servers are also STUN servers, so it's definitely very valid
> to only supply  a TURN  server

... but not every STUN server is also a TURN server. In particular,
there are lots of free community-provided STUN servers out there.
telepathy-gabble defaults to (iirc) stun.telepathy.im, which is provided
by Collabora; that's sufficient to get through relatively "friendly"
NATs, but it does not offer TURN (if it did, it would cost us a lot more
bandwidth and would be a privacy concern for Telepathy users).