[Uim] More bugs = more fun

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Tue Dec 30 21:11:56 EET 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:50:04 +0100
David Oftedal <david at start.no> wrote:

> When I ps aux | grep uim on my system, I see uim has a lot of zombie
> processes running after just a few minutes of being in use:

(snip)
> david     2001  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    20:45   0:00
> [uim-helper-serv] <defunct>

 This is known bug, but these zombie process seems too much...

> When using uim as non-root, this server doesn't seem to do anything,
> because I get constant failed in listen(): error messages when I start
> apps with uim. I don't know why being root helps, but perhaps it's not
> important.

 uim-helper-server is in charge of inter process communication, and
failed in listen() is strange. helper-server make socket to
/tmp/uim-helper-username, so you should check the permission of /tmp.

 Fixing this bug complete is, make uim-helper-server more robust, but
it's hard for me. So I concider switching to d-bus to ipc from this
original unix domain socket server. Anyway, zombies are ulgy, so we make
uim do fork() twice. Though it's not essencial solution, zombies will
not appear.

> Anyway, with three bugs just on my system, perhaps it's time for uim
> to get a bugzilla? It'd be nice to be able to keep track of these
> problems without having to run them all by the mailing list.

 I think bugzilla is exaggerated a little for our project. Of course if
there are many bugs, using bugzilla is useful, but mailing list is
enough now. So if you encounter a problem, please report to this mailing
list.

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki