[Uim] uim-prime vs. anthy (also, possible help for uim-py)

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Wed Apr 7 00:15:19 EEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:06:36 -0500
Duncan Mak <duncan at ximian.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 16:26, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki wrote:
> > I think there is a problem. The problem is that, is there a
> > dictionary which we can use? We can use only the dictionaries which
> > can be compliant with BSD license, because license of uim is BSD
> > license.
>
> I dunno. I can ask my friends in Hong Kong if they know of any
> exisiting free dictionaries. I also seem to remember Emacs having a
> pretty usable system, maybe they have a dictionary there?

I saw the source of Emacs21.3, but couldn't find. Please ask your friend
if they know of any exisiting free dictionaries.

> In general, I was told that the sound-based input methods (Pinyin,
> Zhuyin, Cantonese, etc) are mostly used by novices and occasional
> users. Most power users, people who type Chinese every day, seem to
> prefer stroke-based approaches. I think this page provides a pretty
> good summary:
>
> 	http://www.honco.net/japanese/05/page3.html

Thanks. I've read this page, (and noticed there is a Japanese version,
after I've read!) Your opinion is, using PinYin is not odd for native
Chinese (and we should imprement PinYin based input method for
traditional Chinese characters). Is it right?

I think, if most people using Zhuyin (to input traditional Chinese
characters), we shoud support Zhuyin, but it seems impossible without
native user's help. So, I'll suspend Zhuyin support until native user
appears.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki