[Uim] uim-helper-applet: what does the 'R' button/menu do?

Matthew Tippett matthew.tippett at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 16 03:58:54 EEST 2004

Although I am no expert, I think I can describe the differences.
For those gurus online, please forgive my lack of understanding of
the terms.

In Japanese Input mode, the left button is...

	- Hiragana
	- Katakana
	- Half width katakana
	- Non-Japanese (english)
	- Romaji

The Romaji mode is double width (like the first two).  Half-width
katakana fits in the same space as an individual character.  My
investigations indicate that it is much more than just 'double
space' english.  If I do 'vi' in this mode, it cannot find vi.  My
assumption is that the ROMAJI characters are not in the standard
ASCII character set, and so are interpreted differently.

Note that the switch key (Shift-space) switches between the first
three and the bottom two.

As to the right button, I couldn't discern an effect - the bottom
characters are かな (kana) and the top one is ローマ字 (romaji).  I
don't know the effect.  Judging by the effect of the button,  I
would say it changes the 'romaji' interpretation (し = si, not shi).

PS as a native english owner speaker, moving into Japanese is a
baffling experience.  But I can now spot quite a few characters,
although I still can't discern much from what I see.

Regards,

Matthew