[Uim] Release system of uim

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Thu Dec 9 21:21:35 EET 2004

Sorry for late replying, I've forgotten to sent this mail...

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:09:12 +1100
Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au (Paul Hampson) wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 07:31:56AM +0900, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki wrote:
> > We should have discussions about future of uim. In this mail, I want
> > to discuss about release system.
>
> > Yes, we already discussed this topic, but current system is a
> > misstep obviously. We need new one.
>
> > As you know, the number of uim users is growing, we have to provide
> > stable release. For this purpose, I want to change release system.
>
> > My prolosal is quite similar to linux's. That is:
>
> > If minor version is even, that's stable release.
> > If minor version is uneven, that's development release.
>
> > For example, 0.5.x is development version to release 0.6.0 as stable
> > release. There's no beta release. (1.0.0 is exception. Because it's
> > very very important, I'll do beta release and release candidate.)
>
> I just wanted to point out that the Linux kernel has recently
> (in 2.6) changed to 2.6 being less stable, and the linux distributions
> are responsible for picking a "stable" kernel they're happy with.

Kernel maintainers do their best, distributers also do their best.
That's a pair of wheels to make good software, I think.

> I think that this actually reflects the idea that the best way to get
> lots of testing is to get testing versions into distribution, so
> people don't have to compile it themselves.

The problem is that, most distributers cannot test all of input method
works fine or not, because there are many input methods, they have
little time to spent for uim.

> As such, it would be nice (for me, as a Debian user) if a svn commit
> triggered an automatic build of a Debian package. I'd love to add it
> to my sources.list so my laptop gets the latest version every time I
> update it. ^_^

I think automatic build is quite worth for build test, but using it
actually is audacity a bit... Sometimes code in svn repository doesn't
work.

Anyway, thanks to your comments, efforts to make it easy to prepare the
test environment is worth.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki