[Uim] A problem using uim and anthy in KDE

Yukiko Bando ybando at k6.dion.ne.jp
Mon Feb 23 16:16:18 EET 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:29:35 +0100, David Oftedal <david at start.no> wrote:

>> I have been trying to find out uim key usage by intuition, not knowing
>> what is possible and what is not.  I was wondering if there was a page
>> where one can learn all about it, something like this:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/quality/intl/kinput2/kinput2keys.html
>
> Perhaps we should make one...?

Good idea!  I think it will be very helpful to people who use uim, or any
conversion input method, for the first time.  I was told that uim's key
usage was almost same as jmode's and found a how-to page* in Anthy Wiki,
but couple of key combinations don't seem to work.  Since uim and anthy is
going to be the default input method for Japanese in a major distribution,
maybe it's time to make a tutorial?  In my opinion, the page should
consist of three sections: Before entering conversion mode, In conversion
mode and How to get special characters.

> Type xwi to get wi,
> xwe to get we,
> z/ to get the kana middle dot,
> shift+l to get zenkaku romaji

I didn't know that.  Thank you.  What I have found so far is:

xa, xi, xu, xe, xo to get samll a, i, u, e, o as in MS-IME.

> And as with kinput2, shift-space enables or disables uim, space brings
> up candidate selection, arrow keys can be used to move back or forward
> during candidate selection, and shift + arrow keys can be used to
> broaden or narrow a selection during candidate selection.

I could find them all by intuition.  ;-)

Yukiko

* jmode key usage:
http://anthy.dyndns.info/index.php?%5B%5Bjmode%A4%AB%A4%E9%BB%C8%A4%A6%5D%5D