[Uim] How to turn on the input method as soon as the uc is created?

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 11 08:42:47 EEST 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 06:21:10AM +0900, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:23:49 +1000
> Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au (Paul Hampson) wrote:
>
> > Hmm. I don't know scim that well either, but I had _assumed_ it was
> > like UIM and the graphical bits and pieces were seperate processes,
> > with their own IPC API. And I'd assumed scim-uim talked to uim like
> > the helper API or something similar...
> >
> > I guess I need to get scim-uim compiled and working before I can be
> > of much help in this direction.
> >
> > > And, does this mechanism mean SCIM know private data of uim?
> >
> > It means it can know and act upon such, yes. Although only the keys,
> > rather than data structures and other details.
>
> Maybe I understand what you are saying. You saw the problem as "SCIM
> (or something other softwares) shouldn't know uim's private data
> structure, and so on." Is my guess right?

> The problem here is not data structure (I think). Yusuke's belief is "We
> shouldn't assume each IM has on/off state. Maybe such state exist, but
> it should be treated as private data and be changed from outside." His
> main opinion is about treatment of private data, not how to export
> private data to outside.

> Personally, I'm thinking that maybe we should treat this state as
> public. (Now I cannot draw a conclusion.)

Do all UIM input methods have an on/off state? I noticed that in
SCIM, _English_ had an on-off state, with no appreciable change.

I guess I think helpers are not be more priveliged than anything
else, so if they know the state of the IM, surely any other can?

Maybe we do need to define a public state interface to go with a
public control interface?

I must say what I'm missing from the API (I haven't read the new
API changes yet...) is a way of querying the current mode... The
GTK helper has a '?' until you change modes, and for today's new
window manager (WMI :-) I don't have a systray of icons, instead
I have an area I can put text into... So I want to display UIM's
current mode there... (Once I also fix the multinationalisation!)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.