[Uim] How to turn on the input method as soon as the uc is created?

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 11 18:04:03 EEST 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 04:06:58PM +0900, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki wrote:
> Hi,

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:42:47 +1000
> Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au (Paul Hampson) wrote:
>
> > > Maybe I understand what you are saying. You saw the problem as "SCIM
> > > (or something other softwares) shouldn't know uim's private data
> > > structure, and so on." Is my guess right?

> > > The problem here is not data structure (I think). Yusuke's belief is
> > > "We shouldn't assume each IM has on/off state. Maybe such state
> > > exist, but it should be treated as private data and be changed from

> Sorry, it's wrong. I wanted to write "but it should be treated as private
> data and *should not* be changed from"

Good, that's what I assumed you meant.

> > > outside." His main opinion is about treatment of private data, not
> > > how to export private data to outside.

> > > Personally, I'm thinking that maybe we should treat this state as
> > > public. (Now I cannot draw a conclusion.)

> > Do all UIM input methods have an on/off state? I noticed that in
> > SCIM, _English_ had an on-off state, with no appreciable change.

> No, several IMs of uim don't have on-off state. E.G. uim-anthy has mode
> state and preedit state, but has no on-off state.

Maybe I got the terminology wrong? I think I meant the various
conversion modes, rather than states. >_<

In fact, the more I read my own email, the more I realise I've used
state when I really meant "conversion mode". Sorry.

> > I guess I think helpers are not be more priveliged than anything
> > else, so if they know the state of the IM, surely any other can?

> Yes, you are right.

> > Maybe we do need to define a public state interface to go with a
> > public control interface?

> Maybe. And, maybe we shold distinct on-off state and other states.

Actually, with help from the other thread about this topic, I'm starting
to think that an on/off state isn't such a good idea, since the modes
_are_ things like (for uim-prime at least) "direct input", "conversion"
and "wide latin"... None of them are really "off" althought "direct
input" looks the most like it.

_Perhaps_ a standard 'direct input'/last non-'direct' mode setting makes
sense, like the NJStar word processor has? I assume most input methods
have a mode where they just pass their keyboard data straight
through, except fot the control keys.

> > I must say what I'm missing from the API (I haven't read the new
> > API changes yet...) is a way of querying the current mode... The
> > GTK helper has a '?' until you change modes, and for today's new

> That's a bug. Current mode should be shown immediately if you exec
> helper-toolbar.

I'm using UIM 0.39, and as far as I can tell from reading
helper/helper-toolbar-common-gtk.c, line 385 calls
uim_helper_client_get_prop_list, and in the response to that, I don't
see anything that indicates the _current_ mode. My brief playing with it
indicates we only get notified of the current mode on mode-change
events. On focus change and such, we get both prop_list_update _and_
prop_label_update messages.

I haven't updated to 0.40 yet, waiting on the Debian package.
('cause I'm lazy. :-)

> > window manager (WMI :-) I don't have a systray of icons, instead
> > I have an area I can put text into... So I want to display UIM's
> > current mode there... (Once I also fix the multinationalisation!)

> I think that's interesting but unconcerned here. If you create new
> thread about that, I'll join the discussion.

I'll come back to it once the window manager's ready to speak Japanese
to me.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.