[Uim] Scheme to determine default IM

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Jul 20 00:48:38 EEST 2004

Hi Hiroyuki, some related discussion exists recently.

I think that all of IM framework developer is interested in the
article.

At Tue, 20 Jul 2004 05:17:43 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> Retaining all of them is a bother! So, we should unify the input method
> at the bridge level, and have a mechanism to determine that which input
> method should be default. (Is there any objection?)

immodule for Qt is discussing the environment variable, and the
discussion is involving more generic scheme.

http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/immodule-qt/2004-July/000170.html

> I made a list about features which we will need to resolve this problem.
>
>  - Function to get a list of input method which can be used current context.
>  - Function to get a locale of current context. (We don't store current
>     locale to the context of input method, this item may need more
>     discussion.)
>  - Input method witching mechanism from other process. (Do we need helper extension?)
>  - Useful input method switcher, of course GUI.
>  - New environment variable to determine the default input method. (Mainly for
>     debugging use?)

I hope that you will isolate uim specific API and generic
implementations such as GUI applets. I think that sharing some
of above items (especially IM-switching) between IM frameworks
should be achieved, and can be achieved. At least, technical
terms and semantics can be shared.

There is an IM-switcher related discussion. We should consider
canonical name.

'display name' and 'identifier name (canonical name)'
http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/immodule-qt/2004-July/000137.html

Sorry... I have not read your opinions about new helper design
yet. I'll read it.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp