[Uim] uim-xim usable for non-Japanese input methods?

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Fri Jun 11 10:09:35 EEST 2004

Sorry for late replying.

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 01:00:49 +0200
David Oftedal <david at start.no> wrote:

> After trying out SCIM, I was delighted by how it works both in XIM and
> GTK+ 2 (even though it needs a helper app to work under GTK+ 2 as well
> as under XIM).
>
> I was wondering if the same couldn't be done with uim-xim though? It's
> been said that uim-xim only works with Japanese input methods, but
> surely this must be an encoding issue more than anything else? So if
> one could add some sort of encoding detection to uim-xim, shouldn't it
> be possible to use input methods such as uim-hangul2 and uim-ipa with
> it?

Though I don't have detailed knowledge of of XIM... Of course, uim-xim
will be able to use with non-Japanese languages, if we resolved some
problems. But, it's not only encoding issue. E.G. we must know how to
draw non-Japanese preedit strings. (Note, I'm not detailed. I may be
wrong, we may draw non-Japanese preedit strings as same way as
Japanese.)

To be frank, I don't want to get imvolved with XIM any more... But, if
we receive such demands more, we will investigate and correspond to the
demands.

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
http://kodou.net/