[Uim] Design philosophy and strength of uim

James Su suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn
Mon Jun 21 18:12:46 EEST 2004

Hi,
  In brief, SCIM is an input method develop kit (platform or framework),
like IIIMF, but has many differents. SCIM itself don't provide any
language conversion engine (except the rawcode engine). It provides very
simple programming interface and handy utility functions to simplify the
development of language conversion engine.
  Unlike the philosophy of IIIMF, I think the input method engine should
not know anything about GUI interface, so in SCIM the IMEngine are
completely separated with the GUI Panel. An IMEngine only handles the
algorithm of input logic, so it can be very small and effect, and system
independent. The FrontEnd of SCIM also does not touch anything about the
GUI interface, it's only in charge of the input method protocol and
client interface, like XIM, gtk2 immodule, qtimmodule (future) and IIIMF
(future).
  In my point of view, the appearance of input method GUI should be
unified for all input method engines to give users unified "look and
feel". It makes the input methods very easy to use.
  IMEngine and FrontEnd are binded with signal-slots, because it's very
loose binding, we can implement FrontEnd without much restrict. For
example X11 FrontEnd and SCIM gtk2 immodule are very different, but they
are all FrontEnds.
  The communication between FrontEnds and GUI Panel are via socket (unix
or tcp). So we also can implement independent GUI Panel component very
flexible. There are already an alternative Panel which depends on
KDE/QT, named skim.

-  The design philosophy of SCIM are:
  * very simple api with good flexibility.
  * extensible and dynamic architecture.
  * Separate IMEngine, FrontEnd and GUI Panel completely.
  * loose binding between components.
  * socket communication protocol is not the core part  (not like
IIIMF), but can be provided as a component.

- The feature of SCIM:
  * Implemented with C++/STL, given SCIM very simple and efficient API.
  * Provides many handy functions to help simplify the IMEngine development.
  * Can act as a pure library based input method backend as well as a
Client/Server input method architecture (like IIIMF).
  * Simple and powerful IMEngine interface which make it very easy to
write binding for other input method libraries, like m17n and uim.
  * GUI Panel with rich features to make it acceptable for most of the
IMEngines.

- The future work to unify the input method interface:
  * extend SCIM's IMEngine/FrontEnd interface to support complex
features like Microsoft's TSF. (I know nothing about TSF, do you have
any documentation?)
  * implement an unified C binding API for SCIM's IMEngine interface.

Regards
James Su