[Uim] Should we have a stable branch?

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Sun May 9 16:55:01 EEST 2004

At Sun, 9 May 2004 03:29:38 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> Now I'm thinking whether we should have stable branch or not. Though I'm
> not so realizing, number of uim users is on the increase, we had better
> provide a user with the stable software obviously.
>
> Because number of uim developers are not so many, I'm not confident in
> maintain 2 branches. (Of course we can, but I want to keep development
> speed as far as possible.)

I thought about it for a while, but I could not imagine that
stable branch is effectively working.

Inputmethods have many many complex specifications and
behaviors. Because nobody knows all of this, we have to be
signaled by scream of actual users when it has been broken.

This is why we have to release uim frequently. "development
branch" means "not verified by actual users for a long time" and
we will have some failures that is difficult to go back.

I suggest an alternative idea. Yes, just an idea.

1. release from one branch (as frequent as possible)
2. declare released version as "stable" if not screamed for a week

This is similar to "beta release" or "release candidate" but
redundant release is not required.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp