[Uim] Re: Suggestion: implement uim_get_language_name_from_locale() by Scheme

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Oct 4 04:37:06 EEST 2004

At Mon, 4 Oct 2004 04:44:59 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:34:03 +0900
> YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
>
> > I had already written an alternative implementation of
> > uim_get_language_name_from_locale() in Scheme originally written
> > in C.
> >
> > I think that we should implement such functionalities by Scheme
> > to acquire flexibility. In this case, we can also perform
> > langcode -> langname translation in Scheme world by the
> > alternative implementation.
>
> In most cases, flexibility is important, I think. But in this case, do
> we need flexibility? Could you give me an example?

Oops, I had misexpressed my intention. The langcode -> langname
translation feature (i.e. lang-code->lang-name procedure) in
Scheme world is the flexibility we will get.

For instance, the custom API provides many information about
each customization variable. lang-code->lang-name is useful to
generate some description about the variables such as IM name
for default-im-name.  It currently uses "Anthy" style string for
each IM to be selected as default by a GUI configuration
tool. lang-code->lang-name allows "Anthy (Japanese)" style
string for convenience.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp