[Uim] Replacing property handling codes with property.scm

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Tue Oct 19 11:10:24 EEST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:56:46 +0900
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:47:43 +0900
> YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
>
> > I'm also going to replace property handling codes in each IMs
> > with new property handling framework existing in property.scm.
> >
> > This is the last chance to reflect your opinion about it. I mean
> > it.
>
> Sorry for my slow response. I saw property.scm, there seems no problem
> from the point of view of replacement of current implementation.
> Please go ahead.

Um, sorry, I conceive of some enhancement of current implementation
after I sent last mail.

Current property implementation has several issues and your code solves
some of them. But I thought that 3 problems are still remaining. If we
could solve these issues  on this occasion, that's awesome.

1. Icon support

Property aims to provide some infomation which are shown by toolbar, but
property lacks icon supports. It's a chance to add an icon support to uim.

2. Property isn't always used to indicate state.

Current implemantation of property doesn't consider about items which is
not indicating state. For example, uim-anthy may have a property item
which role is to call dictionary manager. Though I'm not confident in
the feature is appropriate for the name 'property', this feature itself
would be worth to consider to implement. What's your opinion?

3. System tray seems to intend to indicate one icon

This will need some explanation.

Currently, uim-toolbar-gtk-systray show same widget as uim-toolbar-gtk.
But from the System tray protocol specification, " From a UI standpoint,
the system tray is normally used for transient icons that indicate some
special state".

We should not show all infomation by uim-toolbar-gtk-systray, so we need
a way to know what is important and what is not so.

I don't have good idea about this, only wrinting the problem...

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
http://kodou.net/